Fire damage from unattended cooking causes $500,000 in damages
“A fire caused by unattended cooking caused an estimated $500,000 in damage to the Lakeview Park Community Center on Goold Street near Main Street, across from the Racine Zoo, on Wednesday morning, Sept. 11.
Officials with the Racine Fire Department said a firefighter, 41, suffered heat exhaustion, and was taken to the hospital, where doctors opted to keep him overnight to monitor him.
Fire officials said initial reports indicated there were flames coming from the roof, and heavy smoke coming from the building. The initial reports also suggested there were people who ran toward the building, but it wasn’t immediately clear if there was anyone inside.”
Read about this story here.
It goes without saying, cooking on a grill or pit (or anywhere) should never be left unattended. Even if all you need to do is make a quick stop to the restroom. The easy choice is to have another friend, co-worker, or family member watch over until you come back.
What probably started out as a joyous occasion has left thousands of dollars in damage. Thankfully, no one was seriously injured. If your home or business has been damaged by fire and smoke, call the experts at Bauer Restoration. We can be reached at 507-333-9838 or visit our fire damage page for more information.