Make sure you’re checking your smoke detectors on a regular basis
“A cigarette that was left unattended is believed to have started a fire at a home in Grayson over the weekend, according to a Gwinnett County fire official.
Gwinnett Firefighter Driver Engineer Justin Wilson said crews were called to the home on the 1800 block of Bennett Road at 4:02 a.m. on Sunday. Firefighters arrived three minutes later to find the single-story building engulfed in flames which had broken through the roof, the fire department spokesman said.
‘The occupant stated he had been smoking in a bedroom and left a cigarette unattended while he went to the kitchen,’ Wilson said in a statement. ‘The occupant started to smell smoke and discovered a fire in the bedroom. It was reported that a smoke detector was possibly in the hallway of the home but did not activate.'”
Read more on this story here.
Smoke detectors, often taken for granted and left unchecked, they play a vital role in preventing fires from becoming out of control. Setting regular reminders on your phone is a good way to get in the habit of checking their batteries. What takes a few minutes can end up saving your valuables and even your life.
If your home has been hit with fire damage call Bauer Restoration at 507-333-9838. Visit our fire damage page for more information.