Scientists urge residents affected by earthquake to test for Radon
“Scientists are warning those affected by the Southcentral Alaska earthquake to retest their homes for radon, an odorless gas linked to cancer.
Radon is what state energy specialist Art Nash at the University of Alaska Fairbanks calls a “wimpy gas,” meaning it doesn’t cause symptoms and can’t be seen, smelled or tasted. It is, however, radioactive — it forms when uranium underground decays, and Nash said that can pose health risks for people who breathe it in over long periods of time. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer after smoking, he said.”
Read this story here.
Since Radon forms underground, when soil is disturbed, it can seep out through cracks and fissures right on your property. Unfortunately, Radon doesn’t show any symptoms such as odors, tastes, or immediate body reactions. The only way to know for certain if your home is affected by Radon is to test for it.
Even you haven’t been affected by a natural disaster recently, it’s recommended that you have Radon testing done every 5 years. At Bauer Restoration, we use state of the art equipment to detect and mitigate Radon. Call us at 507-333-9838 or visit our radon page for more information.